Pronouns - English Grammar

Pronouns are words are used in place of nouns and are used as the subject of the verb (who does action) in a sentence.

Personal Pronouns:

A pronoun that refers to a particular person, group or thing. These are the personal pronouns in English:
  • I, me, my, mine
  • We, us, our, ours
  • You, your, yours
  • He, she, it, him, her, his, hers, its
  • They, them, their, theirs
personal pronouns

  • My name is Kiran. I don't lie.
  • This is Mr. Surrender. He is my father.
  • We'll like you to join us.
  • Could you please babysit my son?
  • They enjoyed watching my movie.
  • I will see you in the party.
  • Bruno is my dog. It is very playful.

Objective Pronouns:

The words like me, you, him, her, it, us and them are also pronouns but they are used as the object of the verb (who receives the action) in a Sentence.So they are known as Objective Pronouns.

objective pronouns

  • She is my sister. Call her.
  • I had a vanilla ice-cream. My friend ate it.
  • Your father is calling you.
  • Did you buy a dress for him?
  • The teacher gave us a delicious treat.
  • He gave me extra classes.
In English there are three persons:-

1. First person refers to the speaker. The pronouns I, me, myself, my, mine, we, us, ourselves, our and ours are first person.

2. Second person refers to the one being spoken to. The pronouns you, yourself, your and yours are second person.

3. Third person refers to the one being spoken about. The pronouns he, she, it, him, her, himself, herself, himself, his, her, hers, its, they, them, themselves, their and theirs are third person.


0 Comments